Abstract: Alexa is Amazon’s voice service and the brain behind millions of devices including Amazon Echo. Alexa provides capabilities, or skills, that enable customers to create a more personalized experience. There are now more than 10,000 skills from companies like Starbucks, Uber, and Capital One as well as innovative designers and developers. You, too, can build engaging skills and reach millions of customers with the Alexa Skills Kit (ASK). ASK is a collection of self-service APIs, tools, documentation, and code samples that makes it fast and easy for you to add skills to Alexa. With ASK, you can leverage Amazon’s knowledge and pioneering work in the field of voice design. Attend this workshop to learn how to create compelling voice experiences for Alexa.
In this workshop, you’ll learn:
• Introduction to Alexa Skills Kit
• Introduction to basic concepts like intents, utterances, and slots
• How to build your first skill
• How to leverage AWS Lambda
• How to set your skill up for successful certification
What should I do prior to arrival?
1. Sign up for an Amazon developer account (free)
2. Sign up for an Amazon Web Services (AWS) account (free but credit card required for signup)
3. Download and install Node.js (optional, but recommended)
4. Browse the Alexa GitHub repository
What should I bring?
Your laptop and charger. Tablets do not provide the multi-tab capabilities you will want.
Bio: Once a student – now a coding ninja – Anna discovered her knack for teaching when she joined the Dojo as a teaching assistant during her job search. Rather than jumping into the hot Silicon Valley tech market, she decided to pursue her passion for helping others and has been with the Coding Dojo community ever since. In her free time she likes to code, code, and code – joining hackathons and taking our curriculum to even further heights!
Lead Instructor at Coding Dojo